Some of the common questions we get about military and veteran benefits are answered here.

How long am I eligible for benefits?

Generally, you may receive up to 36 months of entitlement through the Post-9/11 GI Bill. You are eligible for benefits for 15 years from your last period of active duty of at least 90 consecutive days.

What is the Post-9/11 GI Bill?

An education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits are payable for training pursued on or after August 1, 2009. For information on eligibility and benefits, please refer to this website.

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program and how will it pay for my education?

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. The program is designed to supplement the Post-9/11 tuition benefit. Under the Yellow Ribbon Program, Cornell College entered into an agreement with the Department of Veterans Affairs to jointly pay the portion of an eligible veteran's net tuition and fees that exceed the maximum amount otherwise provided by the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Veterans are encouraged to visit the VA's Yellow Ribbon webpage to review eligibility requirements.

What is Post-9/11 GI Bill transferability?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill allows uniformed service members (officer or enlisted, active duty or selected reserve), on or after August 1, 2009, to transfer unused education benefits to immediate family members (spouse and children). The service member must have at least six years of service and commit to an additional four years of service in order to transfer benefits to a spouse or child. The Department of Defense (DoD) and the military services determine whether or not you can transfer benefits to your family members.

Please note: Parents and students need to apply for benefits at the VA website or no benefits will be paid to the approved student.

How do I receive payments on my VA benefits?

The VA makes payment directly to the veteran by (1) direct deposit or (2) mailing a check to the mailing address on file at the VA. To establish or change your direct deposit information, click on the Direct Deposit Enrollment Form link after you have logged into Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE).  Changes and enrollments are usually processed the next business day.

  • Under Montgomery GI Bill (Ch. 30 and 1606) and REAP: If you attend school, you must verify your enrollment each month by using the WAVE or IVR system or calling toll-free 1-877-823-2378. Remember that you cannot be paid for a month until the month is over and you verify that you were still in attendance for that month.
  • Under Post-9/11 GI Bill (Ch. 33 and Yellow Ribbon): The VA will send the tuition and fees directly to Cornell College. The VA will send a book stipend (if applicable) directly to you near the beginning of the term (or once your enrollment is processed). The VA will send the housing allowance (if applicable) directly to you at the end of each month.

How long does it take to receive a payment?

Initial payments may take as long as 10 to 12 weeks to activate. Students filing under Chapters 30, 35, 1606, and 1607 will be given retroactive pay from the start of the semester, and continue to receive monthly installments thereafter. Chapter 33 veterans should receive their housing allowance payment approximately four to six weeks after courses begin, provided all paperwork was completed prior to the start of the semester.

Additional questions? Please reach out to the Office of Financial Assistance in Old Sem or