Residence Life has extended the deadline for a limited number of next year's seniors to participate in the off-campus housing lottery. This new process will not be a lottery; instead, it will be a first-come, first-served system.
Those who have already been approved for off-campus living for the 2014-2015 academic year do not need to apply again.
Dates and times for the off-campus lottery
Off-campus lottery forms will be accepted from Monday, February 17, 2014 until Wednesday, February 19, 2014. The Residence Life Office is open from 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. and is located in the first floor of Old Sem.
Eligibility for participation in the off-campus lottery
To be eligible to participate, students must have senior status in the room selection process; this is NOT necessarily senior status in terms of academic classification (refer to our information on room selection status to see how that is determined). Those individuals who will be seniors next fall who will be on off-campus trips first or second semester can apply for the off campus lottery. This is a first-come, first-served system; therefore, drawing on Monday morning does increase a student's chances of being permitted to live off campus. Students with questions about their eligibility should check with the Residence Life Office prior to participation in the lottery.
Students signing up for the lottery have the option of signing up as an individual or two, three or four eligible students as a group.
Process for participating in the off-campus lottery
Students interested in going through the off-campus lottery should note the following:
- All members of the group must be eligible for the off-campus housing lottery (as detailed above).
- The members of the group must sign the Off-Campus Housing Lottery Group Form (PDF).
- Depending on the number of additional spaces in this lottery, all those signing up together as a group will either be granted or denied permission to live off campus.
- No more than four (4) eligible students per group.
Additional information to consider
- Students will be notified via e-mail on Thursday, February 20 if they have received off-campus approval.
- Students who are granted off-campus approval through the lottery will be required to participate in a "Good Neighbor" program. Details will be provided in the off-campus confirmation e-mail.
- Students who live off campus through the lottery are required to participate in the College meal plan (minimum 7 meals per week).
- Living off campus may affect your eligibility for student financial assistance (refer to our information on financial aid for more details).
- Students are advised not to sign a lease until they obtain written authorization from the College to live off campus.
- Those students approved for off-campus living through this off-campus lottery are committed to this assignment unless they have communicated with the Residence Life Office in writing by March 20, 2014.
- As additional off-campus assignments become available, they will be offered to the next person on the waitlist.
- Students who decline their off campus assignment after the March deadline will be required to participate in Late Numbers Draw. Students participating in late draw may not select a room, nor may their roommate(s) select a room, until all other students have selected a room.
- Students approved to find off-campus housing may refer to our off-campus resources for suggestions on choosing a place to live.