General Room Draw
Every student planning to live in a residence hall who does not have an assignment (in a suite, apartment or house) or who does not have off-campus approval for the coming academic year must draw a number and choose a room through the general numbers draw and room draw process. Students who are unable to draw a number may designate a proxy to draw a number. The proxy must have the ID (or a photocopy) of the student for whom he or she is drawing.
List of available rooms
A list of available rooms, dimensions and floor plans are now posted on the Residence Life website. We are in the process of updating the clarity of the floor plans online. Because some are not yet updated, a binder of floor plans is also available in the Residence Life Office for students to browse.
Important dates (subject to change)
- Tuesday, March 26, 2013 from 8 a.m. - 9 a.m. on the OC (Thomas Commons)
- Tuesday, March 26, 2013 from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. on the OC (Thomas Commons)
Available rooms posted online
- Friday, March 29, 2013 (watch your Cornell e-mail for details)
- Tuesday, April 2, 2013 starting at 7 p.m. in Pfeiffer Hall lounge
Room selection for doubles (see detailed schedule below)
- Thursday, April 4, 2013 starting at 6:30 p.m. in Pfeiffer Hall lounge
Late room draw
- Thursday, April 4, 2013 starting at approximately 8:30 p.m. in Pfeiffer Hall lounge
General numbers draw
During numbers draw, you need to:
- Step 1: Sign your housing agreement; your room assignment will not be secured until you sign your housing agreement.
- Step 2: Arrive at either of the designated times for numbers draw.
- Step 3: Present your Student ID.
- Step 4: Draw a number according to your room selection status (refer to the information on room selection status for details on how that is determined).
- Step 5: Receive a Room Selection Pass with your name, classification, and number.
Be sure you and your roommate(s) keep your Room Selection Pass. You and your roommate(s) will not be able to select a room at numbers draw without all passes.
Late numbers draw
Students who miss Numbers Draw may participate in Late Draw by stopping by the Residence Life Office beginning at 8 a.m. the day after numbers draw. Students participating in late draw may not select a room, NOR MAY THEIR ROOMMATE(S) SELECT A ROOM, until all other students have selected a room. Refer to the important dates for the time and location of late room draw.
Lottery number "carryover"
Because each lottery is separate, numbers do not transfer from one lottery to another and "expire" at the conclusion of that lottery. This means that a Wilch Lottery number is void at the end of the Wilch Lottery and cannot be used in the Suites and 10th Avenue Apartments Lottery. A Sleep Inn lottery number is void at the conclusion of the Sleep Inn lottery and cannot be used in the general numbers draw lottery.
Room selection process
- Step 1: Draw a number in Numbers Draw (refer to the numbers draw information above for complete details).
- Step 2: Arrive at room draw at the time listed for the type of room that interests you, and if appropriate, your classification (see complete schedule below).
- Step 3: When your number is called, show your ID(s) and Room Selection Pass(es) to the checker at the door. You must have your student ID as well as those of your roommate(s) to participate in Room Selection.
- Step 4: Proceed to the table of the building you prefer.
- Step 5: Select a room and present your Room Selection Pass(es) to the person at the table. If your preference is taken, select another room or go to the table of your second choice building.
- Step 6: Proceed to the final check out station. Your selection will be recorded and the Room Selection Pass(es) collected. It is very important that you stop at the check-out station; your room assignment is not secured until you stop at the check-out station.
Room selection timeline
Room selection for singles, triples and quads (specific date is listed above)
- 7 p.m. - 7:15 p.m.: Triples and quads
- 7:15 p.m. - 8 p.m.: Singles (all classifications)
Room selection for doubles (specific date is listed above)
- 6:30 p.m. - 7 p.m.: Senior doubles
- 7 p.m. - 7:45 p.m.: Junior doubles
- 7:45 p.m. - 8:20 p.m.: Sophomore doubles
- 8:20 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.: Students without roommates
- 8:30 p.m. - 8:45 p.m.: Late room selection
Floor plans are provided online to assist students in determining the location of a room within a residence hall. Diagrams are not necessarily drawn to scale and certain building renovations and/or improvements may not be included.
- Bowman-Carter Hall floor plan
- Dows Hall floor plan
- Merner Hall floor plan
- Olin Hall floor plan
- Pauley Hall floor plan
- Pfeiffer Hall floor plan
- Rorem Hall floor plan
- Tarr Hall floor plan