Curriculum & Internships
The primary focus of kinesiology is the study of human movement and behavior in physical activity. The Department of Kinesiology offers two major concentrations in exercise science and physical education teaching, as well as courses leading to the State of Iowa Coaching Endorsement and Authorization.
We support students interested in pursuing graduate studies in physical therapy in conjunction with Cornell's innovative Dimensions Program. And we also support students interested in graduate studies in sports medicine.
Students are expected to:
- Be able to access and utilize information and ideas from inter-related academic disciplines for the study of motor, cognitive, and affective aspects human physical activity.
- Appreciate the role that a lifetime of physical activity plays in contributing to personal health and wellness and self-awareness.
- Understand physiological concepts related to structure and functioning of the human body during physical activity.
- Appreciate the various forms of physical activity as dynamic cultural and psycho-social phenomena.
- Be able to apply basic principles and procedures for safe and healthy physical activity and the prevention and treatment of athletic injuries.
- Understand principles of leadership and management as they apply to physical activity settings.