Outside Scholarship Opportunities
The following are scholarship opportunities that we have received in our office for the 2013-2014 academic year. Some of them have provided a web site that you can go to to download an application or get additional information. If it is not available, please stop by our office for an application, or contact us and we would be happy to mail one to you. Our toll free number is 1-877-579-4049 or locally at 319-895-4216.
The Des Moines Women’s Club will award scholarships in the following categories:
Lois E. Dell Scholarship – Any Academic Field - $1000
- Olive C. Riddell Scholarship – Any Academic Field - $1000
- Rose Lorenz Schwartz Scholarship – Performing Arts - $1500
- Helen McEwan Scholarship – Elementary Education - $1500
- Liselotte Gurau Scholarship – Health Related Field - $1000
Applications and instructions for the scholarship may be downloaded from our website: desmoineswomensclub.org.
Applicants must be legal residents of Polk, Boone, Dallas, Jasper, Madison, Marion, Story, or Warren Counties.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE POSTMARKED BY JANUARY 24, 2014.
The Scholarship America Dream Award
The Scholarship America Dream Award is open for applications through December 19, 2013. If you would like to apply, please read the criteria below to ensure your eligibility, please visit the website to begin the application process.
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent resident (holders of a Permanent Resident Card), or individuals granted deferred action status under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Program (DACA).
- Have received a high school diploma or the equivalent from a U.S. school, by September, 2013.
- Have completed or expect to successfully complete a minimum of one full year of postsecondary education by June 2014.
- Plan to enroll in full time undergraduate study at the sophomore year level or higher at an accredited two or four year college, university or vocational-technical school in the United States for the entire 2014-15 academic year.
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (or its equivalent).
- Demonstrate financial need.
Applicants who meet the criteria will be able to apply for scholarships through the Dream Award. Scholarship awards are between $5,000 and $15,000 annually, growing by $1,000 each year until graduation. Dream Award scholarships for 2014-15 will include general scholarships; STEM scholarships (for study in science, technology, engineering and math-related majors); and scholarships for Chinese-American students. Financial need will be considered in determining award amounts.