Physical Disabilities and Systemic Illnesses
Any physical disability and/or systemic illness is considered to be in the medical domain and requires the expertise of a physician, including a neurologist, psychiatrist, or other medical specialist with experience and expertise in the area for which accommodations are being requested. The diagnostician must be an impartial individual who is not a family member of the student.
The following documentation requirements will assist the Disability Services staff in collaborating with each student to determine appropriate accommodations. Documentation serves as the foundation that supports a student’s request for appropriate accommodations. Recommended documentation includes the following:
- A clear statement of the medical diagnosis of the physical disability or systemic illness;
- Documentation for eligibility must reflect the current impact of the physical disability or systemic illness on the student’s functioning (the age of acceptable documentation is dependent upon the disabling condition, the student’s request for accommodations, and the current status of the student; therefore, disabilities that are sporadic or degenerative may require more frequent evaluation);
- If applicable, a summary of assessment procedures and evaluation instruments used to make the diagnosis, including evaluation results;
- A description of present symptoms that meet the criteria for diagnosis;
- Medical information relating to the student’s needs to include the impact of medication on the student’s ability to meet the demands of the postsecondary environment;
- A statement of the functional impact or limitation of the disability on learning or other major life activities and the degree to which it impacts the individual in the learning context for which accommodations are being requested.
Further assessment by an appropriate professional may be required if coexisting learning disabilities or other disabling conditions are indicated. The student and the Coordinator of Academic Support at Cornell College will collaborate regarding accommodations with the final decision made by the Coordinator of Academic Support.