Degree Programs in Combination with Professional Schools

Students who can obtain admission to a professional school at the end of their junior year may petition the Academic Standing Committee to permit them to transfer up to eight course credits from the professional school to complete their Cornell degree. Admission to the professional school is not guaranteed by Cornell but is subject in all cases to the university's acceptance of the student. Students normally apply on their own to the professional school of their choice (subject to the approval of the program by Cornell's Academic Standing Committee) or they may select one of the programs described below with which Cornell is formally affiliated. All such programs permit students to reduce by at least one year the time required to earn their first professional degree.

Before beginning the professional program, the student must complete 24 course credits (of which at least 16 must be Block credits earned at Cornell) with a cumulative Cornell grade point average of 3.0 or higher. Candidates for the B.A. degree must also complete all the B.A. general education requirements, and may, but need not, complete a major at Cornell. With departmental approval, a Cornell major may also be completed at the professional school.

Cornell permits students to receive their Cornell degree at the end of their first year in professional school if they (1) notify the Cornell Registrar by March 1 of their desire to be graduated at the end of that academic year, and (2) provide the Cornell Registrar by the Thursday before Commencement with proof that they have successfully completed the requisite number of transferable credits, satisfied the requirements for their Cornell major, and are eligible to return to the professional school for the following year. Only courses graded C or higher are transferable.

Cornell currently has arrangements in these professional fields: dentistry, engineering, environmental management, forestry, and medical technology. For specific information and forms consult the program advisor or the Registrar.