Academic course credit earned prior to enrollment at Cornell or earned thereafter in summer sessions or in correspondence programs will be accepted if the work (1) is relevant to the curricular program at Cornell, (2) received a grade of C (not C-) or higher, (3) is not a repetition of a course taken at Cornell, and (4) is documented on an official transcript from an institution accredited by one of the following: Middle States, New England, North Central, Northwest, Southern, or Western Association of Schools and Colleges, or at an international university of comparable accreditation. To fulfill the Cornell writing course requirement, course syllabi for composition courses taken at qualified institutions must be submitted in addition to the official transcript.Transfer credit is always evaluated on a course by course basis. No more than 64 semester or 96 quarter hours of credit (equal to 16 Cornell course credits) from a junior or community college may be transferred. Four semester hours or six quarter hours equal one Cornell course credit. No more than one-and-one-half course credits (six semester or 10 quarter hours) from extension or correspondence courses may be applied toward graduation. The Registrar is responsible for evaluating credit by transfer for courses taken prior to matriculation. Courses accepted by transfer are posted on a student's Cornell transcript without grades, i.e., only as course credits. Grades earned at other institutions are never included in calculating a student's Cornell grade point average.

Courses accepted by transfer do not necessarily satisfy the requirements for a major unless they are approved by the Cornell department concerned. Transfer students should confer with the chair of their major department as soon after admission to Cornell as possible to determine which of their transferred courses may be applied toward their major. Only transfer courses of three or more semester hours or four or more quarter hours may be used to satisfy a major or a general education requirement for the B.A. or B.Mus. degree.

A student who receives credit by transfer for a course and then takes a similar course at Cornell will have the transfer credit subtracted. In general, all introductory courses in the same academic discipline are considered to be similar even though their titles or actual contents may vary. A student who receives credit by transfer for a course and then takes a lower-level course that is a prerequisite for that course will have the transfer credit subtracted. Students who believe that their two courses are significantly different should consult the department chair for permission to receive credit for both. If granted, the chair must notify the Registrar in writing.

After a student has enrolled at Cornell, he or she should consult with the relevant academic department in advance, in order to ensure that the credit for work taken either in summer school or in a correspondence program will be accepted as a course counting toward graduation, toward a major, or toward fulfillment of a B.A. requirement. This advance approval, secured on a form available from the Registrar, is to protect the student from taking a course which will not transfer.

A student is not permitted to receive credit for evening, weekend, television, distance learning, or any other courses taken at another institution between September and May while the student is also enrolled at Cornell. Exceptions may be granted by the Academic Standing Committee to juniors and seniors with a grade point average of at least 3.0 if recommended by the Cornell department concerned and approved by the student's academic advisor, provided that the course (1) is part of a sequence already begun and not available at Cornell either as a regular course or an independent study or (2) is required for a major or for a professional program but cannot be fitted into a student's schedule without the student's postponing graduation or forgoing completion of another major or professional program. In the latter case, the transferred work cannot be counted toward the minimum 31 course credits required for a Cornell degree.

Students who at the end of their senior year have earned at least 16 Block credits at Cornell may transfer up to two course credits (eight semester or 12 quarter hours) from another school to complete their Cornell degree. Seniors with fewer than 16 Cornell Block credits are not permitted to complete their degree by transferring courses. The senior year is defined as the eight Blocks preceding the student's completion of her or his final course at Cornell College.