McConnell Travel Fund - Second Call
TO: All Full-Time Faculty and Lecturers, Lab Instructors and other Academic Instructional Staff who are appointed at or above the half-time level on a continuing basis
FROM: Joe Dieker, Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the College
DATE: September 26, 2012
SUBJECT: McConnell Travel Fund - for travel between January 1, 2013, and June 30, 2013
We are pleased to announce the availability of additional support for faculty travel through the McConnell Travel Fund for the 2012-13 academic year. These funds will support travel opportunities that occur between January 1, 2013, and June 30, 2013. This endowed fund, established by Campbell McConnell ’50, recognizes that regular professional interaction and continued development for faculty members is important to the intellectual life of Cornell College.
Awards from the McConnell Travel Fund were made last spring for the 2012-13 academic year. However, many faculty members did not know of certain opportunities to travel at that time. Therefore, we will now entertain proposals for travel for the second half of this year. Proposals are due November 8, 2012.
Awards may range from $100 to a maximum of $2,500. Funds are limited and awards depend on the amount currently available and the number and quality of proposals submitted. Funds will be available once the award letter is received.
These funds are available in addition to the annual allocation of $1,000 for faculty travel or professional development. When you apply for these McConnell travel funds, please specify how you plan to use the annual allocation of $1,000 and justify the need for additional funding.
1) The McConnell Travel Fund will support faculty travel, including attendance at professional meetings and travel for special projects and initiatives, if approved by the Dean of the College and the President. In addition, any use of McConnell Travel Funds for travel outside of the continental United States must be approved by the Dean of the College.
2) The Dean of the College and the President will receive recommendations for awarding McConnell Travel grants from the Faculty Development Advisory Committee.
3) Travel funds may be obtained by requesting a travel loan in advance or by submitting receipts for reimbursement. In either case, the “Travel Loan and Expense Reporting Form” must be completed and submitted with the itemized documentation to Nancy Rawson in the Office of Academic Affairs for review and approval, within 30 days of incurring the expenses. In regard to the use of these funds, please refer to the Business Expense Reimbursement Policy on the Business Services webpage.
4) The total amount awarded for meals will be capped at $230 (with no single day’s food reimbursement to exceed $46). Applicants may request additional daily amounts for those cities with higher rates as established by the IRS. However, the maximum amount requested cannot exceed $230 (the equivalent of five days).
5) Awarded funds must be used for the purposes described in the proposal. If a faculty member wishes to use the funds in any other way, he or she must consult with the Dean in advance to seek approval.
6) Funds should be expended in full by June 30, 2013. Grantees must submit a pertinent activity report summarizing achievements and expenditures to the Office of Academic Affairs by September 1, 2013. The grantee cannot be considered for additional faculty development funding if the report is not filed.
1) Proposals of 1 – 2 pages should include:
a. A description of the proposed travel.
b. A statement explaining how this activity contributes to the faculty member’s professional development.
c. An itemized budget, with justification of each item, and the rationale for the need of additional funding beyond the $1,000 annual allocation.
d. Other information you consider appropriate.
2) Submit the proposal to Nancy Rawson, Office of Academic Affairs, by November 8, 2012. She will acknowledge the receipt of the proposal. Retain a copy for your file. Awards will be announced by the end of November.